Monday, June 24, 2013

Fairchild Oak & Bulow Plantation

What is it about really old trees? I mean I'm fascinated by old wood. Who isn't? Admit it you are too!
We've been in Flagler this week & decided to take a break from the beach today, checking out a local state park.
This is Fairchild Oak at Bulow Creek State Park in Ormond Beach, FL. A 300 year old oak. Man the things this tree has seen!  Hurricanes, fire, wars, reality shows.  I'm amazed at anything that can survive Real Housewives!
With any vacation comes more sitting than The Hubs likes, so we hiked the local trail for a 4+ mile loop.  It was an adventure in biting flies, mosquitoes, & constant monitoring for ticks (we only found about 5 or 6 total during our hike).
Man do we know how to relax or what!  But really, it was neat!  Next time I'd bring bug spray & maybe a bike because the trail was some 6+ miles one way & I really would have like to do the whole thing.  Next trip. 
Had we been able to do the full 6+ miles one way, we would have hiked to Bulow Plantation - instead we drove up the road "a fer piece".  There's nothing left of the actual plantation house except for some posts marking the area, but the remains of the sugar mill were pretty cool.  


Oddly enough, I think I liked this short visit better than our walk around St Augustine the other day.  I tend to gravitate to the little parks that get less attention.  It's probably cuz I hate the crowds so, but there is just something about the road less traveled or the park less visited.

No comments:

Pin It button on image hover